Each speaker has 90 seconds to speak.
Note that the three speakers do NOT have to be the same each week.
It is good practice to rotate speakers so more student leaders have the opportunity to develop their leadership, research, planning, collaboration and public speaking skills.
Each speaker has a Name Tag in front of them, clearly identifying them to the audience. Example
- Students may use cue cards with dot points. They cannot read a complete scripted speech.
- It is expected that the FIRST SPEAKER introduces their team, outlines their arguments and makes a strong point, with reasons to back up their main point.
- Subsequent speakers *attack the opposition’s arguments and also make strong points.
- The THIRD SPEAKER makes strong points and is also expected to sum up their side’s argument and thank the audience and adjudicators.
1. The Adjudicating team consists of ONE Teacher and ONE Student, thus making it easy to quickly ‘average’ the two sets of scores.
2. ALL adjudicators will use the ‘scoresheet template’
3. The Result is announced as soon as the scores are tallied and averaged.
The timer starts their stopwatch when the Moderator says “Your time starts now”
After 90 seconds, the Timer says LOUDLY “Your time is up – Last Sentence”
Speaker Format in detail:
- 1st ‘FOR’ Speaker (Introduces team, summarises argument, makes one major Point)
- 1st ‘AGAINST’ Speaker (Introduces team, summarises argument, *points out problem with 1st speakers speech, makes one major Point
- 2nd ‘FOR’ Speaker – Points out problem with previous speech, makes two major points.
- 2nd ‘AGAINST’ Speaker – Points out problem with previous speech, makes two major points.
- 3rd ‘FOR’ Speaker Points out problem with previous speech, makes one major point, summarises own team’s argument
- 3rd ‘AGAINST’- Points out problem with previous speech, makes one major point, summarises own team’s argument.
* Pointing out a problem with the opposition’s argument is called a rebuttal.
Materials required by Adjudicating School
(remember, you are adjudicating 2 debates)
1 x teacher adjudicator
1 x student adjudicator (for debate #1)
1 x student adjudicator (for debate #2)
4 x scoresheets
1 x calculator to work out averages as per instructions on scoresheet.
Materials required by Timing School
1 x official timer (student)
1 x stopwatch/device